This is a brief update to AusTimorFN Friends of Timor-Leste and it includes
- Maire Sheehan accepts the role of AusTimorFN NSW Facilitator
- Rae Kingsbury, Dr Damien Kingsbury Judith Graley MP and Carlo Carli MP to Timor-Leste 3 October 2009
- Discussions with Minister Archangelo Leite
- AusTimorFN Website Development
- Registration for improved communication
1. Maire Sheehan accepted the role of AusTimorFN NSW Facilitator
I am delighted to announce that Maire Sheehan will be the NSW Facilitator of AusTimorFN. Attached is a more detailed public statement.
Maire will also be visiting Timor-Leste to continue discussions with the government of Timor-Leste about training strategies and to further the Friends of Maliana’s projects there.
2. Rae Kingsbury, Dr Damien Kingsbury Judith Graley MP and Carlo Carli MP to Timor-Leste 3 October 2009
Damien and I will be in Timor in early October. During this visit we will be accompanied by two Victorian Parliamentarians.
The purpose of the visit is to continue discussions with Timor-Leste’s Parliamentarians about furthering existing friendships and establishing a parliamentary leadership dialogue process. More information will be available after the Parliamentarians have reported to their colleagues at Parliament.
As Convenor of the Friends of Baucau, Rae will also be visiting the newly elected Buka Hatene neighbourhood house committee of management. In particular, Rae will discuss with them the renovation of the Buka Hatene second building, and will meet with the Friends of Baucau worker and local political representatives.
Rae will be accompanied in Baucau by the Victorian Parliamentary Friends of Timor-Leste convenor the Hon. Judith Graley MP.
Victorian Parliamentary Friends of Timor-Leste and Friends of Aileu member, the Hon Carlo Carli will visit the local Friends of Aileu worker, community representatives and local Friends of Aileu scholarship recipients.
As Convenor of the Friends of Balibo, Damien will:
- sign an agreement on behalf of the Balibo House Trust with the Government of Timor-Leste about building visitor accommodation at Balibo
- sign an MOU on behalf of the Balibo House Trust with a local NGO, Belun, about providing organisational assistance to the Balibo Flag House.
- With Friends of Balibo and House Trust member John Milkins will present a framed and signed poster of the movie ‘Balibo’ to the Flag House Committee of Management.
3. Discussions with Minister Archangelo Leite
Whilst in Timor-Leste we will again be meeting with Minister Leite of State Administration, Snr Archangelo Leite.
I will discuss further with him the details of the next Friendship Conference in Dili which AusTimorFNhas agreed to assist with in 2010. More information on next year’s Australia Timor-Leste Friendship Conference will follow in late October.
4. AusTimorFN Website Development
Development of the website for the AusTimorFN is now underway. As the Friendship Movement continues to grow, we will continue learn from each other’s experiences. A useful tool to be able to do this in both Australia and Timor-Leste is a website. That will mean Friends in Darwin, Daylesford or Dili, and beyond, can access and contribute information available to all Friends.
A young designer, who is also a former member of the Dili All Stars band, is developing the website. The website needs ideas and feedback from you to ensure it is as useful to the Friends as it can be. it is a key Network tool that will help us do ‘Friendship’ better!
The plan for the Network website so far includes:
- A place to have posted and updated information on your Friendship activities in Timor-Leste and Australia
- Relevant information from Timor-Leste Ministry of State Administration and Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
- State Facilitators will have access to the Network web site to provide State based news items.
The web address is www.austimorfn.com . Please take a look and send advice and feedback so that we can produce the best and most useful website for all Friendship groups.
5. Registration for improved communication
The Network Team is improving the database for our communication processes. If you would like to provide a new or different email address (or wish to be removed) please let us know. I am very much looking forward to hearing from you all the news of Friendship!!!
Rae Kingsbury (nee Perry)
Convenor AusTimorFN 0448 946 483